Which cat litter should I choose?
Why cat litter is important?
A cat’s litter is basically his toilet, but if we humans can adapt to different types of toilet, cats are often really picky ! That’s why choosing a good cat litter is important. If your cat is used to do his business outside, maybe you should start with natural litter for example. If you’re living in an apartment, you may prefer to choose a clumping litter to quickly avoid smells from spreading. But most of all : you have to look at your cats habits and see which litter he prefers.
Different types of cat litter
As we’ve seen, there are many different cat litters, but we can regroup them in 5 types, none is better than the other, it all depends on your cat’s use of it and your preferences :
· Clay litter : the most common litter is the least expensive, it absorbs urine and lets the cat bury his feces easily, though it doesn’t hide the smell as long as others. Good starter litter.
· Clumping litter : also made of clay, the clumping litter absorbs urine into balls that can be removed easily, it’s also lighter than the non-clumping litter.
· Deodorant litter : if your cat has really smelly urine or feces, some litter brands offer specialized odor control. Who doesn’t like a litter smelling like a fresh breeze all the time ?
· Crystal litter : That silicon-based litter is one of the most absorbent in the market, so you don’t need to use as much as other types of litter. Once the urine starts to show up above the cristal litter, it’s time to change it : simple and very clean.
· Natural and Biodegradable litter : you can find wheat, corn, or even pine litters in specialized stores. They are the best choice for a cat with respiratory problems for example, as they have no chemical elements in them. Natural litter can be expensive when sold as « cat litter », but you can also make it yourself !